Hi, All.
I hope you’re well.
We all get a lot of email and if you would like to be removed from my personal email list, please just let me know. If you receive mailings via our Celebrate website’s forum, only you can control those mailings.
This letter has various types of information so please skip down to the one/s of interest. You don’t need to be a member to enjoy our resources and information posted on our website at https://table-talk-celebrate.blogspot.com. Some posts include previous topics or suggestions.
TOPICS:
1. Meeting Schedule
2. A few topics from the last meeting and for upcoming meetings
1. Meeting Schedule: Save the dates
We have a small group, room for more, and it’s one of the activities people can join if they’re still working. All are welcome! Meetings are scheduled for the following Mondays at 7PM in the Rappahannock Room.
March 18
April 1
April 15
2. Topic suggestions for our upcoming meeting
We’ve just had another change in our Board of Directors as the President resigned and now David Campbell is the new President, Barbara Wright is the VP, Lucy Torres is the Secretary, and Al Wilson is the Treasurer. You might remember Lucy joined the Board subsequent to Brigitte Still’s resignation. Now there is one more opening on the Board if you want to apply. I am always open to talk about our community and our best interests.
I was recently asked what was on my mind regarding our community elections, and I am interested in the broader topic of voting in general. I wrote this post in 2016 to a networking and educational networking women’s group I founded.
“This a wild presidential campaign and I know we all have opinions about it. I try hard not to bring this into the workplace and into our group [but it's out there on Facebook]. I do want to remind you that this is group was founded to network, inform and support professional women. No, that's not an endorsement: it is a reminder that we have been behind in rights and visibility in the workplace and even in voting. Women and men fought hard for that right.
My mom, a very patriotic first-generation American, always voted. No matter the weather, the demands of work and family, she went to the polls. I imagine there were times she did not think the candidate was perfect, but it is one of our obligations as citizens, a true privilege compared to many other places in the world, and Americans in general have been extremely lax about this. The truth is that if you are waiting for perfection, you won't find it. Vote for the person who most represents the things you believe, whomever that may be. Check for the facts on FactCheck or similar sites, and vote in your local elections, too. Most candidates start locally, establish a track record in votes and display their character for examination.”
I have two old but relevant posts about voting at:
Precious and Hard Won Right to Vote
Thursday, September 02, 2004
http://marciastein.blogspot.com/2004/09/precious-and-hard-won-right-to-vote.html
And more about voting…
Thursday, September 02, 2004
http://marciastein.blogspot.com/2004/09/and-more-about-voting.html
What’s on your mind? Do you have some tips, websites, podcasts or books to share? What’s on your mind?
Please bring a list of any of the following:
- favorite websites
- your subscription magazines - how did you choose and what’s important to you about them?
- names of a few books you’ve recently read
- summary of recent articles of interest
- topics on your mind
We’ll use the list to determine topics.
I hope to see you on Monday, March 18.
Cheers,
Marcia
Marcia Stein, SHRM-CP PHR