Hi, All.
I hope you’re well.
This letter has various types of information so please skip down to the one/s of interest. Information is also posted on our website at https://table-talk-celebrate.blogspot.com.
TOPICS:
1. Upcoming Meetings
2. What I’ve been reading, watching and studying
1. Upcoming Meetings
The next meetings are scheduled for Mondays at 7PM in the Rappahannock Room on the following dates:
- February 6
- February 20
- March 6
- March 20
2. What I’ve been reading, watching and studying
I like to read about topics of interest, things I’m not very familiar with, as it informs me and sparks new ideas. I’ve been taking a class about memory and another about bioethics, and am including links to some great videos for you. Videos vary in length and some are quite short. Let me know what you think of them or if there is something else that has your attention.
Article (free) from The Harvard Gazette
Perspectives on gene editing (CRISPR)
How to boost your brain + memory - $49 4-week course
The following TED videos are free:
3 ways to spot a bad statistic (Time 11:36)
https://www.ted.com/talks/mona_chalabi_3_ways_to_spot_a_bad_statistic
The secret to making new friends as an adult (Time 31:47)
https://www.ted.com/talks/marisa_g_franco_the_secret_to_making_new_friends_as_an_adult
How friendship affects your brain (Time 4:07)
https://www.ted.com/talks/shannon_odell_how_friendship_affects_your_brain
What makes a friendship last? (Time 3:37)
https://www.ted.com/talks/mona_chalabi_what_makes_a_friendship_last
Why do we feel nostalgia? (Time 3:55)
https://www.ted.com/talks/clay_routledge_why_do_we_feel_nostalgia
Why are we so attached to our things? (Time 4:20)
https://www.ted.com/talks/christian_jarrett_why_are_we_so_attached_to_our_things
Why do we love? A philosophical inquiry (Time 5:36)
https://www.ted.com/talks/skye_c_cleary_why_do_we_love_a_philosophical_inquiry
The science of attraction (Time 4:20)
https://www.ted.com/talks/dawn_maslar_the_science_of_attraction
My descent into America's neo-Nazi movement -- and how I got out (Time 20:10)
A Black man goes undercover in the alt-right (Time18:11)
https://www.ted.com/talks/theo_e_j_wilson_a_black_man_goes_undercover_in_the_alt_right
How barbershops can keep men healthy (Time12:59)
https://www.ted.com/talks/joseph_ravenell_how_barbershops_can_keep_men_healthy
If you read or watch any of the above, it’ll be interesting to hear what you think of them.
Please bring a list of any of the following:
- favorite websites
- your subscription magazines - how did you choose and what’s important to you about them?
- names of a few books you’ve recently read
- summary of recent articles of interest
- topics on your mind
We’ll use the list to determine topics.
I hope to see you Monday night.
Cheers,
Marcia