The following is our email from May 25, 2022.
Thank you so much for signing up for our new conversation group! Not everyone could come last time but we did have 20 attendees and a lovely evening.
For your consideration, I have attached the rules proposed for our meetings. One set of rules is for group interaction and the other is for self-moderation. Kindly review and let me know if you would like to simplify the rules. I appreciate your help and wisdom.
As posted, we are not covering politics and religion in our group. It’s tough as many of us are “news junkies” and I am no exception. So many topics are related to these areas of contention, but we can hold good conversations on other topics.
Here’s the link to my page about news and sources:
I mentioned some podcasts and articles I recently enjoyed and here they are. You can listen online, download an MP3 or go to your podcast provider on your mobile device. If you need help with this, please let me know and I’ll coach you.
- The podcast about tart cherries and health benefits is at The People’s Pharmacy site at https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/articles/show-1298-the-health-benefits-of-tart-cherries. The comments can be interesting, too. This website has many articles and, as always, please check with your doctor if you’re interested in changing your diet, supplements or medications.
- “Hidden Brain” explores the unconscious patterns that drive human behavior and questions that lie at the heart of our complex and changing world.” I listened to “The Logic of Rage” and found it fascinating. Links to their many podcasts are at https://hiddenbrain.org and you can listen by clicking on the page.
- The Science Friday page at https://www.sciencefriday.com has links to recent episodes. I listen to Apple Podcasts and recently heard one called “How the Brain Deals With Grief” and found it to be interesting.
- Story Corps has stories about everyday people and you can listen on their site at https://storycorps.org.
- Fresh Air has interviews with all kinds of people from the Arts and I enjoyed a podcast about George Carlin, including a brief presentation about the 4-hour HBO documentary and clips from previous interviews. You can find that and other podcasts at https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444908/fresh-air.
Jeane sent a link to an article on CNN about the benefits of taking off your shoes when you get home. https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/11/world/shoes-home-contaminants-scn-partner/index.html
Steve sent several conversation-starters and a link to many others. I’ll be bringing them with me.
By the way, Steve sat at the table with Linda and David and coincidentally Linda went to the same high school as Steve but in different years. I suspect many others in our community would find common links from other towns, schools, work and interests.
I’m so excited about getting to know you and seeing you June 8!
Cheers,
Marcia