Thursday, April 27, 2023

April 27 email for Monday's Meeting

Hi, All.

How are you?


It’s been a busy time for us and I completely forgot to sent out this email! I do apologize for that and will still provide you with a few notes.


This letter has various types of information so please skip down to the one/s of interest. You don’t need to be a member to enjoy our resources and information posted on our website at https://table-talk-celebrate.blogspot.com.


TOPICS:

1. Upcoming Meetings

2. We need to talk…

3. A big topic


1. Upcoming Meetings


The next meetings are scheduled for Monday at 7PM in the Rappahannock Room on May 1 and May 15.


2. We need to talk…


Although we’ll be away May 1, the meeting will continue and I hope a few people are able to come, sit and talk. We’ve had great conversations and I always enjoy our gatherings. It’s good to get to know our neighbors and hear their thoughts, learn about their life experiences.


3. A big topic


We talked about a few topics last time including the challenging topic of term limits, both for Congress and the Supreme Court. This came up as I asked about my former Senator, Diane Feinstein. 


She’s a moderate Democrat who has been in powerful, visible leadership roles on Committees and has a track record of working well with both Parties and known for her intelligence and civil approach. 


She will be 90 in June. People age differently and in her case, it’s been rumored for the past couple of years that she can be disoriented and seems unable to complete her tasks. She has missed a lot of work recently. 


Around a year ago, she decided not to run for reelection next year and shortly after that, she seemed to have forgotten her statement when speaking with a reporter. A staffer corrected her and it made me wonder how much her staffers have had to step up. I wrote to her around that time suggesting it’s time to step down.


In the business world, someone in that condition would be carefully evaluated and probably very carefully have duties reassigned and we’d be consulting an employment lawyer about how to help that person retire. 

While many people remain lucid, well-informed and engaged in life at that age, many are not. I know people younger than I who are having their own mental and/or physical challenges. 


It’s a complex topic, isn’t it?


Please bring a list of any of the following:

  • favorite websites
  • your subscription magazines - how did you choose and what’s important to you about them? 
  • names of a few books you’ve recently read
  • summary of recent articles of interest
  • topics on your mind

We’ll use the list to determine topics.


I hope you can go Monday night.


Cheers,

 

Marcia