Thursday, March 16, 2023

March 16 email for Monday's Meeting

Hi, All.

How are you?


This letter has various types of information so please skip down to the one/s of interest. You don’t need to be a member to enjoy our resources and information posted on our website at https://table-talk-celebrate.blogspot.com.


TOPICS:

     1. Upcoming Meeting

     2. A few topics


1. Upcoming Meeting


The next meetings are scheduled for Mondays at 7PM in the Rappahannock Room on the following dates:

    • March 20
    • Shelby is in the process of confirming meetings to be held in April.

2. A few topics


We went to Florida for a few days visiting family and a dear friend. Bill’s cousins had a reunion and it was great getting the chance to talk with them and learn more about his family. It's said that cousins are the closest thing we have to siblings: they know our family history, funny stories and shared experiences with the generation above us. Seeing common interests, recipes used through the generations and other commonalities were fascinating.


Visiting my dear friend was great!


I did not have the time to consume much in the way of books and media, but I do have a few to share with you.


Videos


There’s a site on YouTube called Sabine Hossenfelder’s Science and Technology Updates and Summaries. Physics is a little beyond me, but I can understand enough to take away a little information from her presentations. I’ve read that if you want to learn something new, start with a children’s book as they don’t make assumptions about your base of knowledge. That’s usually a good approach for me, but in this case, her videos are entertaining and worded so that I get a decent overview and can research what I don’t understand.


My cousin, David Liss, has a series of podcasts available and is starting to video his interviews. I just watched his video interview called Learning to Overcome Grief and Trauma with Corbin Dooley. It’s an hour and 7 minutes long and as Corbin is a musician, in addition to learning his thoughts and methods for dealing with various types of grief, I now enjoy his music. It’s interesting that some experiences are universal and no matter how different we are, and in this case he’s rather “new age” and I am not, we can still learn good tips from others as long as we’re open to listening.


Free Books


Project Gutenberg Free eBooks has books in many languages and formats along with some older movies.


Website


Quora is a site where people ask questions and get some [usually] great answers, anything ranging from questions about politics to films, and people might create pithy responses or essay-styled replies. You can read more about it on their website’s About page.


If you read or watch any of the above, it’ll be interesting to hear what you think of them.


Please bring a list of any of the following:

  • favorite websites
  • your subscription magazines - how did you choose and what’s important to you about them? 
  • names of a few books you’ve recently read
  • summary of recent articles of interest
  • topics on your mind

We’ll use the list to determine topics.


I hope to see you Monday night, March 20.


Cheers,

 

Marcia

 

Marcia Stein, SHRM-CP  PHR 

C   408-203-9112