Tuesday, August 20, 2024

August 20 mailing for 8/21 BOD Special Meeting

Hi, All.

I hope you’re well.

This mailing addresses two issues:
1. September meeting options, and 
2. possible revocation of charter.
3. I have some personal comments.

September Meeting Options
Bill and I are going to miss the two September meetings. The Rappahannock Room is still booked for our club on these Mondays: Sept. 2 (Labor Day) and Sept. 16 at 7:00 p.m. You are welcome to go to the room and discuss whatever is on your mind. If you do go, please bring a sheet of paper for attendance record keeping purposes.

Possible Revocation of Charter
In the packet for the Aug. 21 Board of Directors Special Meeting, the only topic covered in public will be the passage of the Proposed Charter Club Operating Manual, on page 9: {I’m not referring to the numbering at the bottom of the page but the number of actual pages as noted on the right-hand side of the PDF reader.}
“E. Charters may be revoked when:
Club membership declines below the established minimum attendance of 12 persons…”  Then it states: "NOTE: The decision to revoke a charter shall be made by sole discretion of the Board.” 
If there is no demand for space, why do we need a minimum attendance of 12 people? If the Rappahannock Room were in demand on Monday nights at 7 and there’s a larger group needing the room, of course we would need the help of the Social Director to coordinate space to accommodate interests.

Here are a couple of personal comments. 
1. In the document on Page 10, 3.1 A “…club leaders must be sure that all members and guests sign and attendance roster and that guests sign a waiver of liability…” It would be easy to have a sign-in sheet with a waiver included at the top of the page. 
2. I’m not sure why we as a community need 25 pages of rules and forms for chartered clubs and redundant paperwork to complete to create a club. Couldn’t it be simplified?
3. Although I have asked several times that Board and Committee documents be scanned so they are searchable as it makes reading long documents much easier. This is a non-searchable document with images saved into PDF format and is impossible to search for keywords or phrases.

Regards,

Marcia